This is a quick, healthy hot meal, that doesn’t heat up the kitchen too much in the sweltering evenings we’ve had recently when all you feel like cooking and eating is ice cream!
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
4oz pasta shapes (I used)
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets, stems chopped
1 courgette, quartered lengthways and diced
1 sliced spring onion
4 rashers of lean unsmoked back bacon
2 oz grated low fat cheddar
1 teaspoon garlic puree
1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions
- 2. Heat the olive oil in a wok and add the garlic puree. Stir to mix
- 3. Add the broccoli, bacon and courgette and stir well to brown the bacon on both sides. (Steam or microwave the broccoli for a minute if you prefer it less than crunchy!
- 4. Turn off the heat and stir in the drained pasta and grated cheddar until the cheese just begins to melt
- 5. Divide the pasta and vegetables between two dishes. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
What do you like to cook/eat when the weather is fine?
This looks awesome, and I just KNOW my boys will love it. What could be better than pasta, broccoli and bacon? (Seriously — they’re Big Brother’s favourite foods.) Will definitely have to try this.
I’m all for spaghetti with melted butter, pepper and salt for comfort food. Although in hot weather I like salad. Lots and lots of salad.
I LOVE pasta with melted butter, salt and pepper – with a rocket and parmesan salad! I love a salad but I do find that sometimes, in a bid to not get bored with the same old same old, making a salad can take as long as a hot meal! Hope the boys enjoy this one too!